School Closures and COVID-19 What South-Western Families Need to Know.
The South-Western City School District has cancelled school for all students through May 1, 2020.
For more detailed information about what your family needs to know, click here.
- Staff Video Messages to Students
- Frequently Asked Questions (including how to talk with your child about the Coronavirus)
- SWCD Food Distribution
- Franklin County Resources - food distribution, transportation, hardship relief, mental health/counseling, self-care
- COTA & Food Pantries
- General COVID-19 Information
- Parent Letters
- Tech Tips for Families
Coronavirus Resources:Talking to Children About COVID-19 ( from the National Association of School Psychologists) The National Institute for Trauma and Loss in Children (TLC Institute) Franklin County Public HealthOhio Department of EducationCenters for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)Ohio Department of HealthWorld Health Organization (WHO)
This list is subject to change
You can call 2-1-1 (614.221.2255) or visit www.211centralohio.org to reach thousands of social service, government, and community resources in Franklin County to address any problem you might be facing.
Here are a few websites that have ongoing lists of resources.
- You can call 2-1-1 (614.221.2255) or visit www.211centralohio.org to reach thousands of social service, government, and community resources in Franklin County to address any problem you might be facing.
- Covid Resources
- City of Columbus
- Central Ohio Mutual Aid, This one focuses on social & mental well-being. It has mindfulness strategies, ways to not feel so isolated, etc.
- St. Vincent Family Center is ready to meet the evolving behavioral health needs of our community. If you are struggling to handle the stress of the COVID situation. We have adapted our service delivery to prioritize the health and safety of our clients, now offering Telehealth services to children, families and adults in need of behavioral healthcare. We welcome your referrals online at www.svfc.org or by phone at (614) 824-KIDS (5437).
- Free mindfulness specifically dealing with stress: https://www.headspace.com/covid-19 or https://blog.calm.com/take-a-deep-breath
- If your student did not borrow a device or you need an additional device because your household has multiple students attending SWCSD and one is not sufficient, please contact your child's school attendance line and leave your child's name, grade, teacher's name, and a call-back number. The building will make arrangements for you to secure a device.
- For those in need of borrowing a Chromebook or Internet HotSpot or have a borrowed Chromebook that needs repair, we will be distributing and exchanging devices during food distribution hours (10:00 a.m. - noon) on Mondays and Wednesdays at each of our four high schools. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (614) 801-3014 if you need assistance to ensure that we have the appropriate devices and technicians available to help you.
- Spectrum will offer 60 days free internet. #1-844-488-8395
- Comcast will offer free internet for low-income customers
- South-Western City Schools- Monday & Wednesday 10-12 pick up at CCHS and bus stops. You will get 2 meals (Monday) or 3 meals (Wednesday)
- Locations: https://sites.google.com/a/swcsd.us/swcsd/coronavirus-covid-19/food-distribution
- Mid-Ohio Food Bank will continue to provide prepackaged dinners FOR PICK UP ONLY at Westland High School, 146 Galloway Road, Galloway, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 3:30-4:30 p.m. until further notice.
- Columbus City Schools is offering free breakfast & free lunch to ALL children 0-18.
- Breakfast will be served from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. and lunch from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Officials said if you pick up breakfast, you will also be able to pick lunch. If you pick up lunch, you take breakfast for the next morning.
- Locations: https://www.ccsoh.us/Page/7560 (also listed as free produce for adult pick up!)
- Piada - free kids pasta with sauce, cheese and a fountain drink, Monday – Friday (March 16 – April 30), during lunch hours of 10:45, am - 1:00 pm.
- Fusian Sushi- $1 pb& jelly sushi rolls for children
- Greek Express- From now until April 3rd, Monday to Friday 11 am-2 pm we’ll provide any school-age child who is affected by lack of school lunches with free lunch at any of our 5 locations.
- Smoked on High Barbeque: Starting 3/18/2020, kids can get an order of drummies or pulled chicken for free for the next 3 weeks.
- Nasty’s Sports Bar and Restaurant in Hilliard: Kids eat free Sunday’s and Monday’s
- Columbus City Schools has a great list of food pantries, grab & go meals, etc.
- Cota has rides to food pantries. https://www.cota.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/COTA-How-to-Get-to-Your-Local-Food-Pantry-v3-Copy.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1GXzgiki0QiVC7jhNU0IBaPWHyYnY7K2mmxh8oNoAmuD5H3Nj4vaeRj4s
- Lunchbox: Delivering free meals for students who don’t have transportation https://www.thelunchboxohio.org/emergency-food-bags
- Mid Ohio Foodbank https://www.midohiofoodbank.org/get-help/
- Grove City Foodbank https://www.grovecityfoodpantry.org/getfood.html
- Gladden Food Pantry (WestSide): http://gladdenhouse.org/food-pantry/
- Other food pantries in the area: https://www.foodpantries.org/
- St. Stephen’s Community House Food Pantry
- Food Nutrition Center: available for all Franklin County Residents (no zip code restrictions). Families can visit 1x a week through March 2020. Food will be pre-boxed foods ONLY.
- AEP: Suspending shutoffs
- Columbia Gas: Suspending shutoffs
- HandsOn Central Ohio provides easy, immediate access to thousands of programs and services available at a range of nonprofit, government, and healthcare organizations across Central Ohio. Click here for an interactive resource map or click here for a searchable online database, with information on how you can get help with Adult Care, Emergency Food or Clothing, Health Care, Housing and Utility Assistance, and Mental Health and Counseling Resources.
- CAP4Kids offers a listing of many community agencies who are committed to serving children and families, including information on Child Care, Food Assistance, Immigration/ESL, Legal and Financial Help, Medical Conditions or Supplies, Safety, and Shelters. Click here to access the CAP4Kids listing.
- Action for Children has a comprehensive listing for more than 1600 child care providers in Central Ohio who are licensed by the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services or the Department of Education. To ask for assistance in finding child care, call Action for Children's Information and Referral team Monday through Friday, from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, at, 614-224-0222 or email your request to email@example.com.
Our Community-Based programs have little wait time and can quickly begin working with families that can engage via Telehealth (online platforms or via phone)! The Buckeye Ranch is up and operating remotely during this time. We have Telehealth options set up for the Admissions Department and all Community-Based programs in order to continue to serve our clients and families, while also keeping everyone safe.
If you have a family you'd like to refer, please start by completing a referral online at www.buckeyeranch.org, and one of our Engagement Specialists will follow up with the family at the phone number provided to give more specific information about how our programs and services can support these families. Families are also welcome to complete a referral themselves online!
This program list below is from our most intensive community services to our least intensive. We will work with the family during the assessment to determine which program is the best fit and level of care based on: current needs, program criteria, program expectations, diagnostic criteria, and county.
- IHBT (Intensive Home Based Treatment) - 1 week
- MST (Multi-Systemic Therapy) - Immediate Openings
- FFT (Functional Family Therapy) - 3-4 weeks
- IFSP (Intensive Family Support Program) - 1-2 weeks
- Outpatient Counseling - some immediate openings
*Reminder that our community based services are only offered in Franklin County, and we only accept Medicaid families at this time.
If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail or call me at 614-507-6155! You can also call our team at 614.384.7798 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Justina Nesler MSW, LISW-S
Assessment Clinician - Admissions and Engagement
The Buckeye Ranch